Essential Oils: Camphor Oregano Dandelion
The power of essential oils is unparallel when it comes to the decongestant and antiseptic properties.
While camphor oil is the best essential for these properties, oregano oil has strong antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties .
This means, together these two natural oils can fight mucus congestion, cough and the germ of pneumonia. Apart from these two, even dandelion root oil is very effective for pneumonia treatment.
This oil has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and expectorant properties. These work wonderfully on the symptoms of pneumonia.
There are several alternative methods of making a medicine out of essential oils. Let us have a look at some of the popular methods.
Method 1: Camphor Oil
How to use it:
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Pneumonia In Children
The signs and symptoms of pneumonia in children vary from child to child and also depend on your childs age, cause of the infection, and severity of their illness.
Usual symptoms include:
- Cry more than usual. Are restless or more fussy.
Adolescents have the same symptoms as adults, including:
- Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
Newborns are at greater risk of pneumonia caused by bacteria present in the birth canal. In young children, viruses are the main cause of pneumonia.
Pneumonia caused by bacteria tends to happen suddenly, starting with fever and fast breathing. Symptoms appear more slowly and tend to be less severe when pneumonia is caused by viruses.
Eucalyptus And Tea Tree Oil Chest Rub And Heat Pack
Mix 20 drops of either Eucalyptus or tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil. Rub it on your chest at night before going to sleep. You can adjust the quantity of the oils if you want to make more quantities of the chest rub.
- To make a heat pack, heat an oven at low temperature. Moisten a cotton cloth with any carrier oil and place it in the oven to warm it up. Once it is warm enough remove from oven and pour on the cloth a few drops of either eucalyptus or tea tree oil. With gentle hands, rub the cloth, so the oils are distributed equally on the entire cloth. Now place the cloth on your chest as you lie down flat on your back. Put a hot water bag on top of the cloth and stay in this position for a minimum of half an hour. Repeat 2-3 times in a day for better results.
You May Like: Does Medicare Cover The Pneumonia Vaccine
What Are The Causes Of Pneumonia
- Micro organisms such as virus, bacteria and fungi
- Streptococcus pneumoniae, hemophilus influenza and klebsiella are the common bacterias
- Candida albicans, apergillus fumigates and histoplasma capsulatum are the fungi that cause pneumonia
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Heart disease
Mega Dosing On Vitamin C
This concept has received much attention in the worldwide health community. Large amounts of natural Vitamin C, way more than the RDI may help the body recover very fast from dangerous infections. The concept is that Vitamin C is a very powerful antioxidant and it improves health rapidly. Try these foods to get lots of natural Vitamin C.
- Rose hips
Eat 3 â 4 cups of these fruits to get excellent amount of Vitamin C in the blood. Also eat foods rich in zinc . In many lung conditions, foods rich in zinc are very helpful. Eat good quantity of watermelon seeds, dark chocolate, coffee and peanuts. These foods can up the level of zinc in the body which helps in pneumonia.
Ancient Herbal remedies for PneumoniaBesides the home remedies, there are many powerful herbal remedies which are capable of putting an end to the infection. However, thee should be taken under the supervision of a trained and certified herbalist, if you decide to go the herbal route.
Read Also: Pneumonia Shot Where To Get It
When To Call The Doctor
You should call your childs doctor if your child:
- Has trouble breathing or is breathing much faster than usual
- Has a bluish or gray color to the fingernails or lips
- Is older than 6 months and has a fever over 102°F
- Is younger than 6 months and has a temperature over 100.4°F.
- Has a fever for more than a few days after taking antibiotics
When your child should stay home and return to school or childcare
Sleep On Your Stomach
When fighting pneumonia, lying on your stomach can help you breathe a little easier.
The majority of your lungs are on your backside. When you have pneumonia, your lungs are full of fluid. So by laying on your stomach, you allow more space for the air sacs to fill up. Furthermore, you won’t have the heart and stomach’s weight pushing against your lungs, making the workload a little easier.
Don’t Miss: How Long Can A Cough Last After Pneumonia
Pneumonia Prevention And How To Care For Your Child
During the winter, the flu isnt the only illness were at risk forpneumonia is a culprit too. In fact, weve seen the topic of pneumonia in the media lately because former First Lady Barbara Bush was hospitalized for the illness, according to the New York Times. Pneumonia is more serious than a regular cold, which is what inspired my RN Remedies blog post, Signs, Symptoms and Treatment of Pneumonia and this post. Continue reading for prevention tips and how to care for your child if they become ill with pneumonia.
How Common Is Pneumonia
Approximately 1 million adults in the United States are hospitalized each year for pneumonia and 50,000 die from the disease. It is the second most common reason for being admitted to the hospital — childbirth is number one. Pneumonia is the most common reason children are admitted to the hospital in the United States. Seniors who are hospitalized for pneumonia face a higher risk of death compared to any of the top 10 other reasons for hospitalization.
Read Also: What Is The Best Antibiotic To Treat Pneumonia
A Lukewarm Bath Or Compress
Soaking the body in lukewarm water may help cool it down.
If it is not possible to take a bath, apply towels or washcloths to the body after dunking them in lukewarm water and wringing them out. This may help the body cool. When the towels warm up, dip them in the water again and reapply.
Chills are often a secondary symptom of a fever. The following home remedies may help ease chills:
Drink Lemon And Honey Juice
Both honey and lemon are the best home remedy for upper respiratory tract infections than traditional remedies. Honey is a natural decongestant and it can help soothe the throat and chest. Lemon contains vitamin C which helps to boost your immunity system.
Also Check: Do You Need A Prescription For A Pneumonia Shot
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Bacterial Versus Viral Pneumonia In Adults
Symptoms of pneumonia can range from mild sometimes called walking pneumonia to severe. How serious your case of pneumonia depends on the particular germ causing pneumonia, your overall health, and your age.
Bacterial pneumonia: Symptoms of bacterial pneumonia can develop gradually or suddenly. Symptoms include:
- High fever
Additional symptoms appearing about a day later include:
- Higher fever
- Shortness of breath
Ginger Turmeric And Garlic The Best Remedies For Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a serious condition that must be treated carefully with the help of a specialized doctor. This disease is basically a lung inflammation triggered by a virus or bacteria and if you dont treat it, it can be mortal. Pneumonia comes with symptoms such as high grade fever, constipation, shivering, coughing, fits, intense chest pain, shallow breathing or breathing troubles. If you have these symptoms, you should immediately go to the doctor. Even though the home remedies cannot entirely cure this condition, they are still able to reduce or inhibit the side effects of the antibiotics.
You May Like: Do You Have A Dry Cough With Pneumonia
Drink A Cup Of Turmeric Tea
A 2020 review suggests that a compound called curcumin in turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial qualities that can help your body defend itself against pneumonia.
Another review from 2018 supported curcumins activity against pain, meaning that it might provide some relief for pneumonias sometimes intense chest pain .
You can buy turmeric tea at your local grocery or online. You can also make your own tea using turmeric powder.
Who Is Most At Risk For Getting Pneumonia
People who have an increased risk of pneumonia include:
- People over the age of 65 and infants under age 2. The weakening immune system of older people makes them less able to fight off illnesses. Similarly, the immune system of infants is still developing and not at full-strength, making them more susceptible to infection.
- People with a health-caused weakened immune system. Examples include:
- People who are receiving chemotherapy
- Transplanted organ recipients
- People who have HIV/AIDS
- People with autoimmune disease and who are taking medications that suppress the immune system.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does It Take To Fully Recover From Pneumonia
Basil And Black Pepper
Basil and black pepper act as natural decongestants. Black pepper expels the mucus from the air sacs and dries up the fluids which cause pneumonia infection.
- Crush 5-7 basil leaves to extract juice.
- Mix with ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Consume every 6 hours to cure pneumonia.
- Repeat 2 times a week.
Warning About Cough Medicine
If you’ve seen your healthcare provider, they’ve likely recommended a cough medicine to be used while you’re sleeping. Even though cough medicine can help minimize the coughing, it’s not wise to rely on it full-time.
Some home remedies for alleviating cough include:
- Gargling saltwater: Many times the mucus sitting in the throat will tickle the throat and cause you to cough more. By gargling warm salt water, this mucus breaks up, slightly helps with dehydration, and may get rid of some germs along the way.
- Using honey: Sweetening your tea with some honey may not be a bad ideait may even help your recovery. In fact, adding honey to the peppermint tea recommended above could provide a double whammy. It is believed peppermint can provide pain relief in your throat by numbing nerve endings. At the same time, early research is showing honey has the potential to be a natural antimicrobial treatment. While more research is done on both peppermint and honey, the early results sound promising for those suffering from a cough.
You May Like: How Much Is A Pneumonia Shot At Walmart
Where Can You Acquire Pneumonia
You can get pneumonia from a variety of different places, which include:
- Community-acquired pneumonia . This is pneumonia that you get outside of a hospital or healthcare facility. Its estimated that CAP is the third most common cause of hospitalization in people ages 65 years and older.
- Healthcare-associated pneumonia. This is pneumonia that you acquire while in a healthcare facility. Older adults who are hospitalized or in a long-term care facility may be at an increased risk for this type of pneumonia.
- Aspiration pneumonia. This happens when you inhale things like food, saliva, or vomit into your lungs. Older individuals with swallowing disorders can be at higher risk for developing this type of pneumonia.
Tea Tree And Eucalyptus Oils
Tea tree oil and eucalyptus oils are antibacterial. And for that reason, they are able to help fight your sickness.
They will help kill the germs that cause pneumonia. Eucalyptus oil also relieves congestion by breaking up mucus in the lungs.
- Boil water and stir in 5 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil.
- Pour the water into a bowl.
- Drape a towel over your head, lean over the bowl, and inhale the steam.
- Do this until Stopped getting oil fragrance.
- Now blow nose gently to clear the mucus which causes the problem.
- Repeat 3 times a day.
- You can use other essential oils for pneumonia like lavender, lemon or camphor essential oil in the place of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil.
- Mix 20 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil with 1 tablespoon of almond or coconut oil.
- Before bed, rub the mixture on the neck and chest.
- Leave on overnight, then rinse in the morning.
- Repeat nightly.
- Note: Do not change quantities.
- Dip a cotton cloth in carrier oil or vegetable oil.
- Place it in oven at low temperature and warm the cloth.
- Pour 20 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil and rub cloth gently to spread evenly.
- Lie down and place the cloth on the chest.
- Leave it on 30 minutes.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
Also Check: Where Can You Get Pneumonia Shots
Natural Home Remedies For Pneumonia Symptoms In Adults
Pneumonia is commonly known as a respiratory condition which characterized by the inflammation in your lungs which are affected due to a bacterial, parasitical, viral, or fungal infections. In other cases, this condition is also caused by the inhalation of some certain toxic chemicals and the consumption of the unhealthy and contaminated foods. Some common symptoms of pneumonia are a cough, shaking chills, fever, and shortness of breath. In addition, a headache, fatigue, sweating, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, chest pain, and muscle pain when coughing or breathing deeply are also other symptoms of this condition. Older adults who are suffering from pneumonia may also experience delirium or confusion.
In the framework of this writing, AllRemedies.com will introduce to you the best natural home remedies for pneumonia symptoms in adults without any side effect. These home remedies are collected completely & carefully from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Note: You must consult your doctor for a proper diagnosis and the treatment of this condition. You should just use these home remedies for pneumonia as an adjunct treatment.
Focus On Your Breathing
Being more mindful of your breathing can help. Not sure how to do this? Try this exercise, which can be done by lying down or sitting up:
When breathing “properly,” the hand over your stomach should be moving more than the hand over your chest.
Using your abdomen when you are breathing means the diaphragm is doing its job and taking the workload off your lungs
Breathing in and counting for a few seconds, then out for few seconds while focusing on using your abdomen can help reduce some of your breathing difficulties. This breathing technique can also reduce the anxiety that sometimes comes with difficulty breathing.
Recommended Reading: When Do You Get The Pneumonia Vaccine
Potential Side Effects Of The Pneumonia Vaccines
Both pneumonia vaccines may have some side effects. These may include:
- redness or swelling at the injection site
- muscle aches
Children should not get the pneumonia vaccine and the flu vaccine at the same time. This may increase their risk of having fever-related seizures.
Although pneumonia itself isnt contagious, it can be caused by a variety of infectious organisms like viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Washing your hands is the best way to avoid transferring these organisms into your respiratory system.
When washing your hands, be sure to clean them thoroughly using the following steps:
- Wet your hands with clean preferably running water.
- Apply enough soap to cover all surfaces of your hands and wrists.
- Lather and rub your hands together briskly and thoroughly. Make sure to scrub all surfaces of your hands, fingertips, fingernails, and wrists.
- Scrub your hands and wrists for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse your hands and wrists under clean preferably running water.
- Dry your hands and wrists with a clean towel, or let them air-dry.
- Use a towel to turn off the faucet.
If you dont have access to soap an water, you can also clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Home Remedies For Walking Pneumonia
Some of the home remedies for walking pneumonia are:
Herbs To Fight Against Walking Pneumonia: Using herbs like Golden seal, Olive leaf, Elder, Echinacea, Andrographis and Mullein can help to effectively rebuild a depressed immunity and fight against walking pneumonia naturally. These herbs work by providing the body with essential anti-oxidants and are also excellent trophorestoratives with powerful anti-inflammatory, decongestant and immune stimulating properties. Use of these herbs are an extremely effective home remedy for walking pneumonia.
Colloidal Silver for a Faster Recovery From Walking Pneumonia: Colloidal silver is known for its excellent immune stimulating ability and so it can be used to effectively boost the immunity and recover faster from walking pneumonia.
Zinc To Boost Immune System And Cure Walking Pneumonia: Zinc is a vital nutrient for good immune health. Inflammations and infections tend to diminish the level of zinc in the body and impact the immune system negatively. Hence, one should improve their zinc intake after an illness such as walking pneumonia.
Benefit of Herbal Teas in Walking Pneumonia: Herbal teas like rosehip and fenugreek, olive leaf, lemon, ginger, Echinacea, and manuka honey are excellent home remedies to help to boost immunity and reduce the mucus production in walking pneumonia.
Quit Dairy Items: Since dairy foods contribute to phlegm production, the intake of these should be decreased to manage walking pneumonia naturally.
Recommended Reading: Where Do You Give Pneumonia Vaccine